- Studies have found that eating a plant-based diet makes you happier and less stressed.
- A study done by Nobel Prize winner Elizabeth Blackburn found that a vegan diet caused more than 500 genes to change in three months, turning on genes that prevent disease and turning off genes that cause cancer, heart disease, and other illnesses
- Vegans enjoy a lower risk of Cardiovascular Disease.
- Eating plant-based foods, which are rich in vitamin E, vitamin B6, folic acid and other nutrients, can reduce your risk of developing Alzheimer’s by as much as 70%.
- A study from the Loma Linda University funded by the National Cancer Institute reported that vegans have lower rates of cancer than both meat-eaters and vegetarians. Vegan women, for example, had 34 percent lower rates of female-specific cancers such as breast, cervical, and ovarian cancer.
- The consumption of synthetic oestrogens that are fed to dairy cattle to encourage more milk production have been linked to the increase of the size of men’s breasts.
For The Environment
- It takes more than 2,500 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of beef, while producing 1 pound of tofu only requires 244 gallons of water. By going vegan, one person can save approximately 219,000 gallons of water a year.
- Commercial fishing methods such as bottom trawling and long-lining often clear the ocean floor of all life and destroy coral reefs. They also kill thousands of dolphins, sea turtles, sharks, and other “bycatch” animals. Coastal fish farms release faeces, antibiotics, parasites, and non-native fish into sensitive marine ecosystems.
- The University of Chicago reports that going vegan is 50% more effective than switching to a hybrid car in reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- In 2012, the LA City Council declared all future Mondays in the city to be “Meatless Mondays” in response to the environmental impact of meat consumption in the United States.
- Forests are alarmingly cleared so that the land can be used for crops so that meat-based diets can be produced. Every year, just one person who sticks to a vegetarian diet will savean entire acre of trees.
- Almost 20% of pollution that is man-made originates from the meat industry. This has placed factory farming ahead of transport in how much it contributes to the planet’s greenhouse effect!