Whoever engages their taste buds with this delicious torte will surely not be disappointed. Easy to prepare, this cake can be cooked by anyone with a basic culinary knowledge, and the consistency of the result is also very stable. I’m so into almond flour (meal) these days, and in case you have not explored this specialty I encourage it with an enthusiast smile. Gluten-free, low in carbs, this flour is high in fibre and packed with protein. Because there is also no sugar, it’s not moreish. One slice will keep your gluttony satisfied for an entire day!
Time: 40 minutes
Moderate Carb: 20-50 grams per day
- 200 gr raw almonds
- 80 gr maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 16 gr tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 20 gr almonds, toasted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line an 8-inch pan with parchment paper; cut to fit the bottom.
- Place almonds in a food processor and grind until the consistency of the almonds is like flour, it takes about 4 minutes. If the mixture starts sticking to the sides, run a spatula around to loosen it.
- In a small bowl add the syrup, eggs, extracts and salt. Mix well to fully incorporate the eggs. With the food processor running, pour the egg mixture through the feed tube and continue to process until it gets smooth. Add the lemon zest and coconut and pulse to combine.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 25–30 minutes. When the top is lightly golden brown and the center is just set, the torte is ready. If the top browns too quickly, tent with foil.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Garnish with toasted almonds.
And for another healthy but sweet recipe, try these delicious Grain-Free Apple Cinnamon Muffins!