Don’t hate me, I am one of those lucky people that loses weight easily. So skinny salads are not for me. I need nutrient-dense meals that contain healthy calories. This is why this simple spinach quinoa salad, packed with Mediterranean goodness including lemon, sun-dried tomatoes and toasted almonds gives me the energy and taste that does me good. It’s vegan and gluten free, too, so it’s a great potluck option, as well as the perfect lunch-box staple that gets me from one yoga class to the next.
Time : 30min
Cuisine : Mediterranean
Serves : 4
Moderate carb: 20-50 grams per day
- 1½ cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- ½ cup chopped sundried tomatoes
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- ¾ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Rinse the quinoa before adding to the broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the mixture stand, covered, for five minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and set aside.
- Steam the broccoli until tender. Transfer the broccoli to a colander and rinse under ice-cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients in a large bowl. When cool, add the quinoa, broccoli, sun dried tomatoes, olives and onions, and toss gently to combine. Top with toasted pine nuts and serve.
I’ve been teaching Kundalini Yoga for seven years and I promise you, it’s like no other system you’ve ever experienced. Beyond the ‘stretchy-wetchy’ approaches that are part of today’s mainstream practices, Kundalini unveils an experience beyond the limits of time and space.