With beauty blogs and news outlets full of stories about toxic chemicals in skincare products, it’s understandable that more and more people are turning to their own pantries for age-old inspiration that our mothers and grandmothers, have successfully used for centuries. A sound skincare routine ensures a glowing complexion and a happy you. From flaky skin to dull winter pallor; even in this part of the world, the winter blues can be banished by visiting your own kitchen. Cleansing, exfoliating and moisturising with natural fresh produce unveils immediate radiance, giving you complete control over what you treat your skin with. Read below and find out how to turn your pantry into a spa haven.
Honey, Oatmeal & Almond Mask
Dehydrated skin is a popular skin concern, and honey is a wonderful moisturiser. Almonds on the other hand are a great exfoliant, so when you put these two humble ingredients together, you get a gentle, exfoliating, and deeply moisturising mask.
- 2-tablespoon Honey
- 1-tablespoon Almond Dust
- Blend the three and apply on skin for 30 minutes.
- Wash and pat dry.
Avocado & Coconut Mask
Avocado provides your skin with some much-needed deep hydration, while coconut oil is popular for its softening qualities. Unless you have extremely dry skin, you might want to avoid this concoction during the summer, but it’s great for keeping your skin soft and supple during the dry winter months.
- Half an avocado
- 2-tablespoons coconut oil
- Blend the two and gently massage onto your face, and any other spots on your body that need moisturising.
- Keep it on for 15 minutes and remove with a mild facewash.
Yoghurt & Banana Mask
The acidity in yoghurt causes a mild lightening effect on the skin, while the banana provides your skin with potent nutrients to fade away fine lines and wrinkles.
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt
- 1 mashed banana
- Blend the ingredients into a smooth paste.
- To keep this gooey paste on your face is not easy. Apply it in small amounts and spread evenly.
- Keep it on for 30 minutes and remove with a mild face wash.
Beauty is not just confined to one’s face. When it comes to exfoliation and a daily skin regime, get into the habit of never neglecting your hands, arms, neck, elbows and knees. Taking care of these often-neglected body parts should become a simple little ritual dedicated to loving every bit of you.
Lemon Sugar Scrub
Lemon is an antioxidant and it’s acidic in nature. It removes dirt while sugar and olive oil put the moisture back into the skin.
- 6 cups raw sugar
- 2 cups olive oil
- 9 tbsps lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients together till the sugar has dissolved.
- Gently massage it onto your skin and wash off.
Chocolate Body Mask
Chocolate is very moisturising and softens the skin leaving a luminous glow. The cocoa in chocolate contains glycerides, which deliver moisturising lipids to your skin, plumping out wrinkles and fine lines. This mask also has lightening properties and soothes blistered skin.
- 200 grams chocolate
- handful of raspberries
- zest of one lemon
- one egg white
- Melt 200 grams of chocolate and let it cool.
- Make a paste of raspberries, lemon zest and egg white.
- Mix all the ingredients together and apply on areas that need nourishment and lightening.
- Wash off after 15 minutes.